Affirmations are positive statements that can help you challenge and overcome negative thinking patterns. These statements when used intentionally can create change. Affirmations can be used for anxiety, stress, success, money, health, overthinking, encouragement, self-love, and much more.
Many of us use negative self-sabotaging statements nearly every day such as:
- I’m rubbish at my job
- I’m always messing things up
- I can’t speak in public so there is no use trying
- Everyone is better than me
- I am useless at everything I try
The above thoughts can become habitual and you may not be paying much attention to them, but they are there, and they will be having a negative effect on how you view yourself and your behaviour. Imagine saying these statements to a friend? Most of us wouldn’t dream of it and yet we will say them to ourselves.
Benefits of Affirmations
- Affirmations can lower stress and rumination
- When used intentionally, affirmations can create more self-awareness of your daily words, feelings, and thoughts helping you challenge them before they have a chance to let negative feelings seep in
- Affirmations can help you become more goal-focused. Having a clear out of negative thoughts can leave cause your brain to think differently making goals more achievable
- Daily affirmations can help put you in a constant state of gratitude
How to use Positive Affirmations
Affirmations are best used when there is emotional charge. You should say your affirmations with conviction!
Think about an area of your life that you would like to change. For instance, do you want more confidence to ask for a pay rise? Do you want to reduce social anxiety to be able to leave the house without worry?
Write down some behaviour that you wish to change and make sure that it is really what you want so that you are motivated to achieve the change.
Write your affirmations in the present tense and speak them out like they are already happening. This will help you believe that the statement is already true for now. Say things like ‘I am assertive’ or ‘I am confident at speaking in public’.
Examples of Positive Affirmations
- I am adventurous
- I make the best of every situation
- I enjoy life to the fullest
- I have a positive attitude
- I am worthy of love and respect
- I love everything about my body
- I am enthusiastic about my life
- I am enough
- I’m eating healthy foods
- I can make good decisions
- I accept the things I cannot change
- I am a survivor
- I am confident
- I’m getting stronger every day
- I am who I want to be
- I have the courage to say no
- I believe in me
- I am free of worry and at peace with who I am
- I replace fearful thoughts with positive ones
- My spirit feels free and light